5 touring motorcycles that will make you want to head for the hills
These terrific tourers are more than a match for any long road trip.Peter Iantorno November 26, 2014
Here at EDGAR, we think there's no better feeling than escaping into the wilderness and getting away from all the stresses and strains of everyday working life.
With the weather in the region mild and pleasant at the moment, there's no better time to hit the open road and head off into the mountains to regain some inner peace. But as with any road trip, you need the right travel companion to make it work - and no, we're not talking about wives or friends here, we are, of course, talking about your trusty motorbike.
Here are our top five touring motorcycles that'll make you want to drop everything and head for the hills (or the Hajjar mountain range):
5. Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring While it retains all the tech you need to keep those long rides comfortable and safe - like traction control and ABS - the Multistrada 1200 S is still very much a Ducati at heart. And if you open up the taps on its class-leading DVT engine, it's perfectly capable of keeping the thrill seeker in you entertained.
If the idea of a tourer seems a bit too stable and boring for your tastes, the Multistrada 1200 S is just the ticket. Want one? It'll set you back anything from AED73,000.
4. Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
It has the strong, powerful looks of a fully grown tourer, but the V Star 1300 Deluxe is actually a handy mid-size, meaning that it delivers all the high-end features, but can be bought brand new for a snip at just over AED50,000.
Featuring a 1304cc, liquid-cooled V-twin engine, the bike has more than enough power to munch the miles when you twist the throttle, and with an integrated Garmin GPS as well as a satellite radio, you won't get lost - or bored - along the way.
3. Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited We couldn't very well have a list of awesome touring motorcycles and not have a specimen from the venerable granddaddy of touring, Harley-Davidson, could we?
Although there are loads to choose from, we've gone for the top-of-the-line Electra Glide Ultra Limited, as although it'll cost you in excess of AED100,000, everything on this stunning creation, from the snarling V-twin engine to the smooth-as-silk transmission, is tailor made for long and leisurely riding.
2. Triumph Trophy SE If you're a believer that less is more, the Trophy SE is the tourer for you. And we don't mean that in a bad way - the SE has generally less weight, less complex settings options and costs less money than most other tourers (apart from the bargain Yamaha), but still has plenty to keep us interested.
Starting at AED 70k, the Trophy SE's spirited three-cylinder engine spreads its power smoothly throughout the rev range, so it's equally happy on long, quick straights or negotiating twisty mountain roads.
1. BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive An absolute beast of a tourer, the K1600 GTL Exclusive is the motorcycling equivalent of a first-class aeroplane ticket, with every little detail carefully designed to leave the rider in the lap of luxury.
We're talking about heated seats and backrest, automatic, keyless ignition, fuel-filler cap and luggage lock as well as BMW's top-end metallic paint. All these premiums don't come cheap though, as you can expect to pay upwards of AED110,000 for one. But who wants to put a price on luxury?