Would you swap your shoes for your smartphone?

October 6, 2014

If you had to spend a whole week either without using your smartphone or walking around barefoot, which would you choose? This might seem like a silly question, but astoundingly, some 20 per cent of people would rather keep their phone and go shoeless for a week! Although for the remaining 80 per cent, ditching shoes in favour of their phone would be a step too far, the fact that for one in every five people, phones are more important than footwear, just goes to show the extent of reliance that many people have on their mobiles. But in recent years this reliance has moved on to the next level; in fact, now many people are suffering from a condition called nomophobia - the fear of being out of cell phone signal range and anxiety of losing cellular connection. According to this infographic from American company Wilson Electronics, the problem is widespread, with 66 per cent of people suffering from the disorder and 72 per cent of people reporting that they are within five feet of their smartphone for the majority of the time. And with today's smartphones getting more and more user-friendly, the problem, it seems, is only going to get worse. See more worrying stats below: nomophobia Do you think you've got nomophobia? Would you swap your shoes for your smartphone? Let us know in the comments below.